Friday, May 1, 2015

Be Vulnerable for Your Kids

I grew up watching movies and soap operas about women "being strong". The interpretation of being strong is to suffer silently and not asking for help.  Somehow telling their kids everything is fine when they are scared , in pain and afraid. Suffering in silence seems to be the "good wife" and "good mother" stereotype.


Well I have done that and it didn't work. For some reason, our culture seems to think that being vulnerable is being weak. Protecting them from the truth somehow will ease our own suffering.
I ask myself , " How can I ever expect my kids to tell the truth about anything when I don't do it myself ? " It is an against the grain kind of gesture and believe me it is the best thing I have done.
Sometimes I just don't have the answer and I will tell them that, tell them about my experience and what my choice will be and let them make their own decisions.
We as a family sit in council at least once a week, we talk about our daily lives and share our day almost everyday in a sacred space where we can stay present and listen to each other.
As a couple, I sit with my partner everyday and we process, listen to each other deeply and hold a space for each other, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment